Recent Posts

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Accessories, Hardware and Technical / Re: SHVC-CPU-01 SNES Doesn't Power On
« Last post by cale114 on May 21, 2024, 07:02:44 PM »
It sounds like a short somewhere early on in the circuit. I don't know about the diode, but it's easy enough to replace it and see.
« Last post by blob on May 20, 2024, 05:44:06 PM »
And last but not least, what was the voltage being output from the voltage regulator?
... as I have said, the voltage regulator isn't outputting anything. It reads 0 on the multimeter on the output pin (touching ground and output).

No output at all?!? Now that's interesting. Assuming there's some input to the Regulator or is that 0 input?

At any rate, you've got to trace the current from the input adapter port to where it's changed to 0, and there is your problem. It's a short distance from there to the voltage regulator.

Well here's the odd thing. If I supply power to the motherboard and touch from the adapter to the regulator, it reads 14v on all 3 pins of the regulator, but if test the regulator itself as I did with the SNES Jr. (touching ground to input read 14v, and touching ground to output read 5v), with this SNES, it's reading both ground to input, and ground to output at 0v.

So basically, the SNES Jr. is getting power as expected. This broken one is not, when the power switch is on. My eye is still on D1.
« Last post by cale114 on May 20, 2024, 04:10:46 PM »
And last but not least, what was the voltage being output from the voltage regulator?
... as I have said, the voltage regulator isn't outputting anything. It reads 0 on the multimeter on the output pin (touching ground and output).

No output at all?!? Now that's interesting. Assuming there's some input to the Regulator or is that 0 input?

At any rate, you've got to trace the current from the input adapter port to where it's changed to 0, and there is your problem. It's a short distance from there to the voltage regulator.

« Last post by blob on May 20, 2024, 11:47:34 AM »
Hi all.

I've recently recapped my SNES with the SMD set from Console 5. I initially added the additional cap to the voltage regulator. When I went to test, it worked just fine, besides a rolling horizontal bar scrolling vertically on screen so my first thought was to remove that cap from the voltage regulator. After doing that and setting back up to test once again, I plugged it in for a moment, did not even power it on yet, and as I reached for the controller, I heard a pop and removed everything once more.

Now, I've since had a look at the board. I'm no expert with a multimeter, but I've tested continuity on the fuse, which it has, tested the power switch, which is fine, tested the adapter, which is also fine, the board is getting power too, and to make sure, I retested for any shorts in my soldering on the caps, and they're all fine. Now... one very strange thing is that the voltage regulator does not seem to be getting power properly and outputting 5v. I tested my working SNES Jr. just to get a sense of what the regulator should be doing, but this SNES' regulator is not doing that, so I ordered a pack of regulators to replace the old one, figuring that it was the issue, but there's no change. It still doesn't seem to be outputting 5v. For reference, this is the pack I ordered (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M32I31S?psc=1)

So currently, I'm at quite the loss. I still don't even know why or how this could've happened, and no matter what, I really want to figure out what the issue is. Does anyone have any clue?

Because you mentioned the rolling bars at the beginning, my first question would be, are you using a cheap China AC adapter? Sounds like it, which has been the cause of so many SNES problems. Second, did you check the VR capacitor? And last but not least, what was the voltage being output from the voltage regulator? Have you ruled out static electricity (example, from your hand touching something)?

Hey there.

The adapter is an official SNES adapter. I have 2 of them and tried both. No change.
About the caps, I have replaced all of the caps on the board, and they are all fine.
About the regulator, as I have said, the voltage regulator isn't outputting anything. It reads 0 on the multimeter on the output pin (touching ground and output). I am positive I didn't short anything, as it couldn't have possibly been the case in that moment, plus I do have appropriate static protection (ESD safe mat, and a wristband).

I reckon the issue is somewhere between the power port and the regulator. Could it be D1? There's a diode there, though I'm not sure how it should read on the multimeter. I followed the trace from one of the pins that appeared to go to the 1000uf cap, and the two 33uf caps, and it doesn't appear to be getting continuity. Perhaps it could be that, but I have no idea why that would've blown. What do you think?
« Last post by cale114 on May 20, 2024, 11:21:21 AM »
Hi all.

I've recently recapped my SNES with the SMD set from Console 5. I initially added the additional cap to the voltage regulator. When I went to test, it worked just fine, besides a rolling horizontal bar scrolling vertically on screen so my first thought was to remove that cap from the voltage regulator. After doing that and setting back up to test once again, I plugged it in for a moment, did not even power it on yet, and as I reached for the controller, I heard a pop and removed everything once more.

Now, I've since had a look at the board. I'm no expert with a multimeter, but I've tested continuity on the fuse, which it has, tested the power switch, which is fine, tested the adapter, which is also fine, the board is getting power too, and to make sure, I retested for any shorts in my soldering on the caps, and they're all fine. Now... one very strange thing is that the voltage regulator does not seem to be getting power properly and outputting 5v. I tested my working SNES Jr. just to get a sense of what the regulator should be doing, but this SNES' regulator is not doing that, so I ordered a pack of regulators to replace the old one, figuring that it was the issue, but there's no change. It still doesn't seem to be outputting 5v. For reference, this is the pack I ordered (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M32I31S?psc=1)

So currently, I'm at quite the loss. I still don't even know why or how this could've happened, and no matter what, I really want to figure out what the issue is. Does anyone have any clue?

Because you mentioned the rolling bars at the beginning, my first question would be, are you using a cheap China AC adapter? Sounds like it, which has been the cause of so many SNES problems. Second, did you check the VR capacitor? And last but not least, what was the voltage being output from the voltage regulator? Have you ruled out static electricity (example, from your hand touching something)?

Accessories, Hardware and Technical / SHVC-CPU-01 SNES Doesn't Power On
« Last post by blob on May 19, 2024, 11:35:10 PM »
Hi all.

What's the number pointing to the spot? You may be able to look it up. Looks like it may be under your red marker.
Nintendo DS Lite Question. Hello, I'm looking for a little information on what this part is called on the board and where I can buy a new or used one to solder back on the board. Any info will help!! It looks like it's used in the circuit that runs games in slot 1 if that help any.
Pics in link below
https://guide-images.cdn.ifixit.com/igi/yuKWXIPROYcbXqlT.full
Switch Games / Does Switch Games Have Manuals?
« Last post by gabe on May 08, 2023, 01:13:53 AM »
I have noticed that all my Nintendo Switch game cases have a spot for manuals, but every game I have bought doesn't come with a manual. It's just the game, case, and artwork. Am I missing something here?
Thanks for the fast reply. Yes I have pretty much accepted that it could be a failing CPU at this point. It is quite unfortunate as it makes me worry that this will just continue with all snes and they will become incredibly rare.

Funny that you mention the oscilloscope, I was just checking some out and was going to do some research on what would be the most appropriate. I am not losing hope yet on it, but I agree that I probably wont be able to verify with any certainty unless I can actually check activity on data lines. I think either way I will be on the lookout for an inexpensive donor board or a backup replacement in the mean time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10