My Wii Won't Read Gamecube Games

Author Topic: My Wii Won't Read Gamecube Games  (Read 7358 times)

Charley

• Newcomer
My Wii Won't Read Gamecube Games
« on: July 03, 2018, 06:11:09 AM »
I just bought a used Wii system on eBay for a very good price because I wanted a console that would play Wii games but also play the collection of Gamecube games I had left over after my Gamecube died a couple years ago. But when I got the console, it wouldn't play Gamecube games. It plays Wii games just fine, but ejects every Gamecube game I place in it. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

Geek Gunner

• Techie Means Ninja Knowledgeable
    • The Geek Forum
Re: My Wii Won't Read Gamecube Games
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 04:32:05 AM »
The first thing you should do is check to see if your Wii is the original release or the later version called "Family Edition." The later Family Edition released Wii won't play Gamecube disks.

Geeks Do It With a Hard Drive!

Charley

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 02:39:51 PM »
The later Family Edition released Wii won't play Gamecube disks.

Ok, but why is it that some Wii consoles will not play gamecube disks?

Second question, how can you tell what console is a Family Edition?

Nomad

• Traveler with an Attitude
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 07:27:31 PM »
one way you can tell is that the consoles that can play Gamecube games have the stencil "wii" on the very bottom of the face plate when it is stood upright. The consoles that don't play Gamecube games have the "wii" stencil on the face correct only when it is laid flat. When stood up the "wii" stencil will be on the side.

Another way to tell is that the consoles that do not play Gamecube games have no Gamecube controller port doors nor Gamecube memory card doors on top. It's just one piece of immovable plastic (no doors).

NesMan

• Global Moderator
  • NeS GaMeR
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 12:37:19 AM »
To add an illustration to Nomad's very good answer, see the illustration below. Note the different positioning of the lettering! Illustration number 1 (RVL-001) is the wii console that plays Gamecube Games.

Illustration #1

Illustration #2

Also note that if you buy one of these from a site like eBay, you may get the RVL-001 case and ports but with the laser module repaired/replaced with RVL-101 components, which often means that it plays wii games but "may" no longer play Gamecube games. It has happened to me, so just beware it's all original.

BoyFrom7J

• Frat Boy
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 09:59:47 AM »
Ok, but why is it that some Wii consoles will not play gamecube disks?

Different hardware. Nintendo stopped supporting gamecube disks in the later Wii models to save money. Nintendo has always been known for penny-pinching.