Why Does the Nintendo SNES Classic Cost So Much?

Author Topic: Why Does the Nintendo SNES Classic Cost So Much?  (Read 874 times)

davidok1

• Newcomer
Why Does the Nintendo SNES Classic Cost So Much?
« on: January 06, 2018, 06:38:16 PM »
When the Nintendo NES classic came out and there was a shortage of product that drove up the price, these meatheads at Nintendo said there wouldn't be a repeat of that with the SNES Classic, and yet here we are with the same problem again. Again they wouldn't produce enough systems and the price skyrocketed again. I don't blame the stores, individuals or the resellers, it's a matter of supply and demand. If I had a ciouple and I could get $200.00 for one, I would price it that way too. Nintendo gets all the blame for this. I heard that the SNES Classic is only going to be produced until the first month of 2018. And I still don't see any in the stores.  I really had hoped I wouldn't have to shell out $200+ dollars to get a new system but Nintendo has screwed us all again. Walmart said they accidentally activated pre-orders early and sold out in a little over 15 minutes. Nintendo obviously under produced the product yet again when they said they would not do that with the SNES Classic.  I was all set on having my children experience the SNES games like I did, but I must say these actions by Nintendo give me pause. Maybe to go to the modern systems like X-box and Playstation.. It's a shame because I have been a loyal customer for Nintendo for years. But they are driving me away. I went on and bought the system, but if something like this happens again, I am done with Nintendo for good!

Crazy Nate

• Newcomer
Re: Why Does the Nintendo SNES Classic Cost So Much?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 12:40:46 AM »
 :Goodpost:  Nintendo is definitely the culprit here.  I have to agree that this whole NES Classic/SNES classic scarcity issue is total baloney! We all know that Nintendo could easily have made enough Nintendo SNES classics to satisfy everyone, especially in light of 2016 debacle over the NES classic. But the deliberately created this shortage for their own reasons. I have read a lot of different reasons why, but the bottom line is, they didn't want to fulfill the orders because they wanted people to buy the new Nintendo Switch. Now the damn SNES classic is selling for 300.00 new and in another year will probably be even more. Unless you buy them on Ebay, which means they probably won't even be new or working properly just repackaged as new.

One thing is clear. Nintendo doesn't really care about the American consummer's wants or needs anymore. The company has definitely changed.

WebDog

• Nothing but the Dog in me
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 10:19:26 AM »
That was true in the past, but I think they're coming around. I really believe that it was really mostly because they were set in their ways and had their own way of doing things and didn't want to (what they call) sell out. That's why they resisted so long joining in manufacturing the standard consoles (Xbox, PSONE). They've gotten back to that a little with the resent death of a main contributor and this new management, and they've even allowed the popular Fortnight on the switch. Something they would have never done before! So things seem to be slowly changing. We'll see.

Iam2 Dead

• Thank U Very Mush
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 12:43:44 PM »
Nintendo is notoriously protective of their software rights. So much so that they even go after Youtubers that stream their games. So stupid, they don't realize that streamers actually sell their games, not make a profit from them. I hear they have lightened up on that a bit, but I think they are still out of touch with the new age.

As for the high price of the SNES classic, their excuse is that it was never meant to be a full console release, just a little special edition that wasn't to be continued. Personally, I find it hard to believe that a company like Nintendo didn't anticipate the response, so it has to be a deliberate tactic.